2012-2013 School Community Council-
Trust Land Committee
Becky Glover - Chair-Parent
Holly Houston - Vice Chair-Parent
Pamela Aziz - Principal
Jeff Corry - Teacher
Judy Lee - Teacher
NIcki Orton - Teacher
April Riddle - Parent
Maryann Shakespear - Parent
Robyn Rogers - Parent
KES Community Council
Minutes of Meeting
September 11, 2012 @ 2:45 pm
Mr. Corry’s classroom
AThe School Community Council - Working Together for School Improvement@
- Welcome & Minutes of December=s Meeting -Present: Becky Glover, Robyn Rogers, Maryann Shakespear, Jeff Corry, Nikki Orton, Pam Aziz. Absent: Holly Houston, April Riddle and Judy Lee
- “Earning for Education” video was presented view by the committee.
- New Council requirements and changes were read and discussed. Duties and responsibilities were discussed and timeline was reviewed.
- Current LAND Trust plan was reviewed and discussed. Budget was presented.
- UPASS scores/graphs were presented and discussed.
- Council positions were reviewed and it was decided to bring on another parent member in order to meet new member standards.
- Meeting schedule was discussed and approved with a motion a second and majority vote.
Next meeting to be held on Tuesday, Oct 9, 2012
The School Community Council
Working Together for School Improvement
Minutes for the Meeting held October 10, 2012
- In Attendance were Mariah Wheeler, Pam Aziz, April Riddle, Becky Glover, Nikki Orton, Holly Houston, Jeff Corry, Judy Lee, and Robyn Rogers.
- Pam Aziz welcomed everyone and read last months minutes. After the minutes were read, Nikki Orton motioned to approve the minutes, Holly Houston seconded the motion and the minutes were unanimously accepted.
- There was a need to change meeting dates from the second Tuesday of the month to the second Wednesday of the month. The new schedule is Nov. 20th (due to SEP’s), Dec. 12, Jan. 16, Feb. 13, March 13, April 10th, and May 15th. Becky Glover motioned to accepted the new dates and Jeff Corry seconded the motion and all voted in favor.
- Pam discussed the minutes and agenda on the school webpage and asked everyone to visit the webpage and check those out.
- Applications for New Candidate Form were sent to every student at KES. At the end of the year we will be asking parents to join in voting on reelecting and electing new candidates. Two years is one term and then you have to be reelected for another term. Half the council should go “off” every year, unless reelected. Finish out your term and not quit in between years ¾ or years 5/6 . We read over the candidate forms that had been turned in.
- Pam read the rules and how to govern the community council meetings. We should follow parliament procedures. We discussed agenda first, motions, seconds, and chair calling for discussions before votes. April motioned to adopt the rules of order and procedure, Becky Glover seconded and Pam Aziz asked for discussion, no discussion unanimously adopted.
- Pam passed around the CRT Results forKanabSchooland explained the data that was included in the handout. We met goals in Language Arts, we missed Math by 1 percent, (91% of our students passed the Math Test) Science was also met. The new goals are LA from 88 to 89, Math 91 to 92, and Science from 86 to 87. On the hand out anything over 200 is great, we are over 200 on everything. The new goals will be presented to the school board for approval.
- Pam asked Jeff to present the new math curriculum to the Community Council next month.
- Jeff Corry motioned to approve the school improvement plan, Judy Lee seconded to approve the school improvement plan, and unanimously approved it.
- Pam presented the child access routing plan. There is no parking or dropping off at the church. Holly Houston motioned to approve the routing plan, Mariah seconded and we all approved.
- Adopted Mariah Wheeler and principal assurance are the two things Pam will turn into the State Office.
- Becky Glover motioned to adjourn, Robyn Rogers seconded the motion and all voted to adjourn.
Kanab Elementary School Community Council
Minutes for November 20, 2012
In attendance, Nikki Orton, Becky Glover, MaryAnn Shakespeare, April Riddle, Jeff Corry, Judy Lee, Nancy Roundy (presenter), Mandi Luce (representing Pam Aziz).
- April Riddle read the minutes from the October meeting. Jeff Corry motioned to approve the minutes, Becky Glover seconded the motion and all accepted.
- Nancy Roundy presented the Reading Proficiency Plan. She explained the professional development , including the tiers of instruction, and how we are keeping parents informed.
- Becky Glover and Jeff Corry read over the 2011 School Land Trust Plan. April Riddle motioned to approve the plan, Nikki Orton seconded the motion and all accepted.
- Jeff Corry then presented the Go Math! Program that the 3rd grade is trying out this year. It is common core approved and the teachers do like the spiral review that is included.
- MaryAnn Shakespeare motioned to adjourn, April Riddle seconded the motion and all approved.
KES Community Council
Minutes for December 12, 2012
Members in attendance include Pam Aziz, Becky Glover, Jeff Corry, Holly Houston, MaryAnn Shakespeare, April Riddle, Nikki Orton, Robyn Rogers, and school member Wendy Allen.
April Riddle read the minutes from the November meeting. There were no objections to the minutes, so Becky Glover motioned to approve the plan, Nikki Orton seconded the motion and all accepted.
Pam went back over Nancy Roundy’s reading proficiency plan highlighting benchmarking is done three times a school year, provided progress monitoring, and extra activities. At the end of the school year, 80% of students in third grade have to reach the state goal. Pam asked for questions or concerns with the plan there were no questions, Jeff Corry motioned to accept the reading goals and Nikki Orton seconded the motion all accepted the motion.
Pam then read over Nancy’s professional development plan, highlighting the summer trainings and the importance of it for the reading program. Seamless instruction model should flow through all 3 tiers of instruction. Pam asked for questions, Nikki Orton asked for summer dates. Becky Glover motioned to accept the professional development plan Jeff Corry seconded the motion, all accepted.
Pam read an email from the state office about a community council audit for the school years 2011-2012. They will be here on January 24th to meet with the principals and Cary Reese. She had to send in copies of our minutes, copies of our reports, budgets, etc. They will be calling council chairs to ask questions to make sure we are legit. Pam went through the important parts of the last couple of years plans and reports, in order to refresh our memories. Our plan is mostly the same as our school improvement plan.
Pam Aziz went over upcoming events such as the Christmas assembly and reflections.
Considered how implementation of new math curriculum will be integrated into different grade levels. At least for 1st and 2nd grade, but hoping for more grade levels as finances permit. Wendy Allen suggested approaching the Kane Foundation for money to help with curriculum. PTA would like to also help, but will need another fundraiser in order to help.
Becky Glover motioned to end the meeting, Robyn Rogers seconded the motion and all accepted.
KES Community Council
Minutes for January 16, 2013
Members in attendance include Pam Aziz, Becky Glover, Jeff Corry, Holly Houston, MaryAnn Shakespeare, April Riddle, Nikki Orton, Robyn Rogers, Judy Lee, and special visitor Mandie Luce. We were also joined by a student, Jake Shakespeare who was working on a Boy Scout badge.
Pam started the meeting off by reading the minutes from the December meeting. Becky motioned to accepted the minutes and MaryAnn seconded the motion, all approved.
Becky Glover, council chair, was called by Paula Plant from the State as part of the audit process. Becky discussed the conversation she had with Paula and felt it went really well.
Utah School and Institutional Trust Lands Administration Fiscal Year 2012 Annual Report is out and printed, Pam shared KES’s copy with us to look at and go over.
Pam presented a chart with all the testing each grade level does, when they do it, and the purpose of the testing. DIBELS was discussed in more depth. Every grade level does DIBELS testing and every grade level has an iPad to do the testing on. It has helped make the documentation of the testing faster to report. The Kane Foundation purchased the iPads and are coming to observe them in use. BEACON BENCHMARK is taking the place of Utips testing is for Science, Math, and Language Arts. It will be testing how far the student can go, not just if they learned grade level standards. Pam accounts the testing as a large reason, KES is so successful in teaching it monitors and benchmarks struggling students.
Pam read over the Kane District School Community Council Policy (GE). It is similar to school policy but it is for whole district.
New Math program will be transitioning into GoMath!. Kindergarten and 3rd have piloted it and now the whole school will transition into it. The representative was suppose to have bids to Pam for us to look at but was not here yet.
Next, Pam presented the Kanab Elementary Multi-Hazard Emergency Plan/School Safety. The letter is included in the handbook every year. Each teacher has emergency plan with phone numbers, purpose, and plan. The purpose is for safety and keeping kids safe. We use an incident command policy that is explained through a flowchart that is included in the plan.
Upcoming events Land Trust Audit, Math Counts, Seismograph Display, Reflections, Teacher Trainings, Net Safety Assembly and Chrome books.
Jeff motioned to adjourn, Nikki seconded the motion and all approved.
Next meeting will be February 13, 2013.